This article provides information regarding the trial of the AttachmentExtractor for Dynamics 365.
How to start a trial?
To get started, you will need to set up an AttachmentExtractor service that performs the extraction of content (note &email attachments or email content) from your DataVerse to an alternative storage. Depending on your deployment type you will need to:
- Dynamics 365 Online Deployments: Setup a service via the Online Service Configuration
- Dynamics 365 OnPremise: Download and Setup a new Service on local hardware
Note: Once the service is started it will start to extract or copy content from your environment. Keep in mind that you can always undo the extraction by using the “revert extraction” option described below.
During the trial, the service will perform the following tasks:
- Process 100 items per day. You can check the progress via the “view progress & history” option in the service configuration.
- Allow for “Single Item” extractions. This options allows to process specific elements so you can see details of how e.g. an email would be processed. See Step-by-Step guide below.
The trial stops once a total of 5000 processed items is reached.
Step-by-Step: How to use “Extraction Analysis & Single Item Extract” option
- Start your “Service“
- Open the “Extraction Analysis & Single Item Extract“-dialog
This dialog allows defining records you want to test the extraction against. This can be
- URL of Email records: The services will extract all attachments and/or the content of the email
- URL of an entity record: The service will extract all notes attached to the record.
Open the email record in your browser and copy the URL (like in this example: https://crm640860.crm.dynamics.com/main.aspx?appid=a25d9efd-4d7e-ea11-a815-000d3a8c9451&forceUCI=1&pagetype=entityrecord&etn=email&id=434ce4c6-b28a-ea11-a811-000d3a5691c7).
To test the extraction against this record:
- Press the [Single Item Extract]-button
- Click on [Add Single Item Extract]-button
- Paste the Record URL into the prompt and click [OK]-button
Once done, the item will be added to the list:
- The service will catch the record on the next run through. As this might takes a few seconds you need to hit the [Refresh]-button to refresh the window
- The Checkmark indicates that the extraction is finished. Click on this row to get extraction details.
Please Note: You can of course also check your records or your external storage (SharePoint or Azure Blob) for the extracted content.
How to undo the trial (Revert Extraction)
You can always bring back extracted data into your system by using the revert extraction option in the service configuration. Click on the [Revert service]-button in the left bottom space of the service window.
Then press the [Clone as revert Service]-button. With this service all extracted data go back to your environment. Take care that your database space is sufficient to accomodate the attachments.
Should you run into any issues, we are happy to help at firstname.lastname@example.org