The Document Generation Service represents the heart of DocumentsCorePack. Every document that is generated starts with a request to your service who will create the document, convert it to your desired format and store it back into your environment.
Since this is a very crucial task, we are providing detailed information on your service via the DocumentsCorePack Service config
The following logs are available for you to view:
- Service Logs: Insights on the service health
- Doc Statistics: Insights into the performance of your documents.
- Data Usage Report: Number of documents generated/month
1. Service Logs
The Service Logs provide valuable insights into service health. E.g. Status, Error details, Activity, etc. This information is mainly used by our support team to gain information about the service like what it is doing or has been doing, if & why it was stopped or started.
Note: Service logs are only kept for an interval of about 14 days.
2. Doc Statistics
The “Doc Statistics” contain valuable information on every document generated with the most important entries being:
- TemplateName: Which template was used?
- Date: When was the document generated?
- TotalDuration: How long did the overall action (create, convert, save back) take?
- CreateDocTime: How long did the incorporation of data into your template take?
- SaveDocTime: How long did it take to save the document back to Dynamics as a note or to SharePoint (if chosen too)
As you can see, we do provide a set of numbers with respect to performance (2). The specification is in milliseconds. To give you an idea: On average, our customers’ documents take between 1 and 2 seconds per document. If it takes significantly longer it might be worth checking the template for possible performance leaks like
- Images: the number and file size of images has a significant impact on performance. Very often it is possible to replace images with a version in a format that has less filesize.
- Unused relationships: Quite often there are relationships resolved inside documents that load data the is actually never needed inside the document.
(3) Additionally, you can use the option “Group by Template” to find out which template was used how often, or which was not used at all.
3. Data Usage Report
This option shows how many documents were generated per month and how large these documents were in total. Since every license comes with a certain number of documents included, this number gives you an idea of where you are at and if it is necessary to buy additional documents.
That’s it! We appreciate your feedback! Please share your thoughts by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.