The Master Template feature allows you to manage the design of documents header and footer in a separate template. So when the design changes you have to modify one template instead of each template. In your actual templates you just have set the Master Template which should be applied when the document is merged. This feature requires at least version 9.27 of the client and version 2017.193 of the server or service.
The left example shows the document which is to edit and on the right side, the created document contains the companies design and the header and footer.
Figure 1: Example Master Template
How to set up a Master Template for your company
- Open a plain document
- Edit the header and footer according to the companies design.
Figure 2: Header and Footer edited
- Save the document by using the Save Template-option as a static template in your Dynamics 365.
Figure 3: Save Template Option
- This window shows up while saving the template. Please confirm.
Figure 4: Save as a Static Document
Assign the Master Template to your normal templates
- Open the template settings and got to the Master Template setting on the General tab (1). If you are not sure how to get access to the template settings to set the document subject please have a look at this article first.
- You will find 2 settings in the Master Template.
(1) To define which Master Template should be applied for all header and footer in the document.
(2) It is an optional setting for a Master Template for the footer.
Figure 5: Settings in the Master Template Group
- To assign a Master Template you can type in the “Header/Footer (static)“-search bar the name of the Master Template you prepared.
Figure 6: Type in the prepared Master Template
- Or click the magnifier-button to open the “Look Up Record” where you can also choose your prepared Master Template
Save the Master Template
Before use or test the defined Master Template it is necessary to save it:
- Locally with the standard “Save”
- “Save as”- functionality of Microsoft Word
- “Save Template”-option of the DocumentsCorePack client in order to publish the template to Dynamics 365
Test your template (optional)
Find out if your changes on the template are working. A step by step description of how to test your template can be found here.
- Design also the first page and even/odd header/footer in the Master Template otherwise those sections will be blank in the result document.
- The size of the header/footer in the Master Template shouldn`t be bigger than the page margin of the main template. Otherwise, it will shrink the document body size in the output document. There is no setting to limit the size of the header/footer.
- Format styles of the Master Template are not merged into the main template. Text formatting made in the Master Template without the use of format styles will be displayed correctly. If you like to work with format styles in the Master Template please make sure that they exist in each template.
That´s it! We appreciate your feedback! Please share your thoughts by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.