If you exceed 260 characters for the SharePoint path, you will get a SharePoint Error 414. Learn how to avoid this error in this article.
This error may occur because SharePoint path limitations are hard coded, and the maximum path length is 260 characters.
“mscrm-addons” products offer several default ways to shorten SharePoint paths:
1. We provide you with a default shortening to a maximum of 30 characters + GUID for each folder name.
- SharePoint folder maximum length: This setting cuts SharePoint folder names that are longer than a certain number of characters.
2. We provide you with a default shortening to a maximum of 128 characters for each file name.
3. ShortIDs: We create a 6-character ID alternatively to the well-known 36 GUIDs of Microsoft Dynamics 365.
It is recommended to activate ShortId to avoid the SharePoint error 414 you get because of the path limitations of 260 characters. With ShortId we create a 6-character ID instead of the 36 GUID, like you can see in the example below.
- SharePoint folder max length: If the length of a SharePoint folder’s name exceeds the maximum specified value, the name is cut to the maximum allowed length (this does not apply to existing folders).
- Use short Documentation Logic: Replaces the GUID with a tag (6byte).
- Please Note: This requires that the “Use 2013 Doumentlocaton logic” is “active” too.
The setting in the figure below cuts SharePoint paths automatically.
4. Use an alternative field for the generation of paths (For example, instead of account name, we can use a unique account number field)
For the SharePoint folder name attribute:
Please note: Although the creation of short paths is a very valuable feature, existing paths cannot be shortened anymore, unless very specific criteria are met. Manual interaction is always required.
For further information on how to correct SharePoint paths exceeding the limitations, please have a look at this blog article.
That’s it! We appreciate your feedback! Please share your thoughts by sending an email to email@example.com!